I have really been impressed by the Acai Bowls that have appeared in the local cafes over here and my whole family love them (which is always a win/win situation 🙂 ).
Here’s my version of a simple raw Chocolate/Banana Acai bowl that I make at home.
This recipe will feed the six of us – 2 adults, 2 pre-teens and 2 younger ones 😉
I make ours in a Thermomix, but a high speed blender like a Vitamix will do just as well.
- 2 packets frozen unsweetened Acai Berries
- 4 medium-large frozen Bananas
- quarter cup water (preferably filtered)
- 2 heaped Tablespoons Cacao (I like mine chocolatey 🙂 )
- Selection of in-season fruit; such as banana, strawberries, kiwi fruit – Sliced
- Shredded Coconut
- Something Crunchy – like Toasted Nuts or Granola.
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Maple Syrup (optional)
- Place ‘Crunchy item’ into 4-6 bowls (4 adult size bowls or 2 adult, 4 child size bowls).
- Open the Acai Berries and add to the Thermomix/Vitamix with the frozen bananas, Cacao, Maple Syrup and quarter cup water.
- Blend – I use speed 8 in the Thermomix for approximately 15 seconds.
- Check the consistency. You are looking for well-blended and thick enough to eat – like a frozen mousse.
- If the Acai berries are still solid in parts – repeat. If the consistency is too thick and you feel you need a little extra water then this can be added now, but be careful that you don’t end up with a smoothie.
- Once you have the desired consistency, spoon the mixture into the bowls covering the ‘Crunchy Item’.
- Top the bowls with chopped fruit of your choice, shredded coconut and any other raw yummy treats that take your fancy.
- Serve and Enjoy