As a keen leaner of all things astrological, I’ve read plenty of books on Neptune transits, I’ve taken the courses and I’ve listened to experiences of those going through them, but as with anything, it’s not until you actually experience one that you really get a feel for this energy.
Right now I have Neptune activating both Mars and Mercury in my chart and boy am I feeling it!!
What are Transits?
A transit is the term used to describe what happens when a planet (in its current positionmoving through the sky), comes within contact of a planet within your birth chart.
This contact triggers an energetic reaction and, depending on the planet involved and the energy of the person, it can have profound results.
Transits consist of a first hit (when the Planet first connects with your chart), a second hit (when the planet turns retrograde, appears to move backwards and re-contacts the same position in your chart again) and a 3rd hit (when the Planet, now moving direct, re-contacts that chart point).
If you’re really lucky, you may get five hits depending on the degree being transited and the orb of the transiting planet to your chart planet.
Lucky me! I’m getting 5 hits of Neptune and right now I’m at that very first hit.
The first hit of any transit can be the most disorientating. There you are, going through your ‘normal’ life, doing what you do – in the way you ‘normally’ do it – and Wham!!
In the case of Neptune this can be particularly difficult, as Neptune tends to dissolve what it touches.
With Mars, it dissolves your energy, motivation, the way that you take action and assert for what it is that you want or desire.
With Mercury, it dissolves the way that you think, your words (often mid sentence) and your ability to communicate as effectively in your usual manner.
With the Sun, it dissolves your self-expression, your will to shine as an individual.
With the Moon, it dissolves your emotional boundaries, adds sensitivity and can bring on moodiness, which rises and dissipates in the blink of an eye.
With Venus it can dissolve your values, what you desire and even relationships; especially those that are not based in truth, but operate from a place of deception.
The second hit of a transit tends to be less shocking.
You already have a feel for what you’re in for now and this period can be described as your ‘being in the thick of it’.
Often it is between this point and the final pass that most adjustments are made.
The End (Final Pass)
The final contact of the transiting planet to your natal planet signals that the transit is coming to an end, although it will not be over until the transiting planet passes completely out of range (usually within 1 degree, sometimes longer for the big outer planet transits (Uranus, Neptune, Pluto).
As the final pass is made it often coincides with a more integrated feel around the energy that the transit has bought to you and a greater awareness of what it has all been about.
How Does a Neptune Transit Feel?
The exact nature of the transit depends on a few factors:
- The planet or point that Neptune is contacting in your chart
- The sign of that planet (or point – i.e. Ascendant, Midheaven, Black Moon…)
- The sign that Neptune is travelling through
- The influence of your natal Neptune placement within your birth chart (and therefore within your energy)
- The aspects that the planet, which Neptune is transiting, makes to other planets within your natal chart
- The other transits that are activating your chart at the time of the Neptune transit
- Your current physical, emotional and spiritual state
Neptune Transits can:
- Increase your sense of idealism, your sensitivity, your compassion and your drive to help others
- Enhance your imagination
- Cause Confusion, Disorientation, Vagueness, Tiredness and Lethargy
- De-motivate, discourage and distract you from where you thought you were headed
- Bring up feelings of overwhelm, exhaustion, self-doubt/doubt regarding your path,
- Lower your Immunity, trigger allergy responses, bring on anxiety and foreboding (lack of trust)
- Dissolve boundaries; potentially leaving you open to deception
- Increase romantic feelings and oneness
- Open you up to greater levels of beauty and love
- Find you wanting to bliss/zone out more
- Heighten meditation experiences
- Have you feeling like a victim and wanting to be rescued.
- Totally turn you into Dory from Finding Nemo!!
- Bring about illness or dis-ease that is difficult to diagnose/treat
- Bring disappointment(s); especially in the case of inflated idealism, rose-tinted glasses and pedestals
- Increase Intuition/Psychic Insight
- Connect you with trapped grief and resentment (buried anger), which can result in bouts of depression
- Be very disconcerting if you like to be in control
So, What’s the Point?
Now this is the important bit.
What exactly is all this about?
Neptune rules the Oceans; the watery, vast, untapped depths and he removes by dissolving; eventually washing away what no longer serves, bringing about transformation.
The level of transformation is, as always, dependent on how a person chooses to respond to the events, feelings and circumstances that the transit brings about/highlights within their life.
The pull to drink or to escape in other ways under a Neptune influence can be strong, but what Neptune really wants you to do is feel.
- He wants you to feel the disappointments, the losses, the pain that resides within your soul and he wants to help you to release, cleanse and purify them.
- Neptune wants you to slow down, to smell the roses and to spend a certain amount of your day dreaming, visualising and imagining what it is that you would like within your life.
- He wants to open you up to possibilities, to beauty, to a deeper capacity for love, to soften you and to introduce you to a higher spiritual plain.
- Neptune transits are fantastic opportunities to enrich your spiritual and creative life.
- Play with the children in your life,
- Lay down in the Sun,
- Swim in the Ocean,
- Write a story,
- Put a daily mediation practice in place.
- Anything that takes you to a place of connection and oneness right now is where you will likely find your bliss (your happy place).
- Tune into your intuition and the promptings of your spiritual (higher) self.
- What energises you at the minute?
- What depletes you or causes stress?
- What is this highlighting for you, what needs to change and is there anything that you can do about that?
- Get comfortable with not knowing, nurture your spiritual connection and tune into your heart whenever you feel discomfort around where you’re headed. Allow yourself to be guided, tune in and have faith.
- Clear your fears as they arise.
- This is a great time to carry out forgiveness rituals, to gently release your anger/resentment/frustration by writing it out and burning it (releasing it back to the Earth). Whatever you can relinquish now will free up space for newness to come in.
- Because Neptune transits heighten sensitivity this is a time for gentleness; to allow yourself to soften.
- This is not a good time to push, but to instead tune into the rhythm of life as it currently is (likely pretty slow!). Try to adapt to this slower pace of life and enjoy it.
- When it comes to communication and interpretation, it is wise to check and double-check now (especially if Mercury or the 3rd house of your birth chart are activated). Misunderstandings can arise around not being in possession of all the facts. Neptune’s vague and confused effect can make interpretation tricky.
- Keep a clear head (as much as is possible with the Neptune association with fogginess) and ensure that you are especially careful around financial and romantic involvements – especially those that involve deception on some level.
- Be aware of victim-martyr-complex scenarios that may play out at this time. Although you can help others, the only person you can really save is yourself and the ultimately, the only person that can save you is you.
- If you’re feeling a sense of dis-ease, dis-comfort or are under the weather it’s wise to get it checked by someone you trust.
As an example of that last point, with Neptune squaring my Mars at the same time as a Mars activation to my Saturn, I made the decision to get a blood test, as I was recognising the symptoms of anaemia and it was no surprise to find that my Iron and B12 Levels were low.
I’m a pretty healthy vegetarian, but I have a tendency towards anaemia due to heavy menstruation, so no matter how much goodness I put in, my Iron sores always seem to be dissipating. I have a Mars/Neptune contact natally too, so it’s not surprising.
Unfortunately, until I can heal the energetic component around that it will tend to continue (and especially so under such afflictions to my natal Mars).
I also have a Moon/Pluto square, which is indicative of the heavy periods.
I feel that on some level this is related to me owing greater levels of my personal power and putting more healthful boundaries around how I’m using and sharing my energy, but I really don’t know how else to change this right now.
Any ideas greatly welcome 🙂
As with all transits, the important thing is to note how it makes you feel.
What does this particular Neptune transit bring up for you?
What insights are you able to gauge about yourself and where can you work with all of this insight to make your future self more comfortable and content?